Instructions - This is an consent document that has been prepared to help your acupuncturist inform you concerning facial acupuncture treatments, the risks involved, and possible alternatives. Please be advised that this is not a surgical procedure. It is important that you read this information carefully and completely. Please initial each page, indicating that you have read the page and sign the consent for facial acupuncture treatments, as proposed by your acupuncturist.
Introduction - An acupuncture facial treatment involves the insertion of acupuncture needles into fine lines and wrinkles on the face and neck in order to reduce the visible signs of aging. In Oriental medicine, the meridians or pathways of Qi (energy) flow throughout the entire body from the soles of the feet up to the face and head; consequently, a facial acupuncture treatment addresses the entire body constitutionally, and is not merely “cosmetic.” An acupuncture facial involves the patient in an organic, gradual process, which is customized for each individual. It is no way analogous to, or a substitute for, a surgical “face lift”. A treatment session may confine itself solely to facial acupuncture, or it may be used in conjunction with other procedures.
Benefits - Facial acupuncture can increase facial tone, decrease puffiness around the eyes, as well as bring more firmness to sagging skin, enhance the radiance of the complexion, and flesh out sunken areas. Customarily, fine wrinkles will disappear, and deeper ones be reduced. As this treatment is not merely confined to the face, but incorporates the entire body and constitutional issues of health.
Alternative Treatment - Improvement of sagging skin, wrinkles and fatty deposits may be attempted by other treatments or surgery such as a surgical facelift, chemical face peels, or liposuction. Risk and potential complications are associated with these alternative forms of treatment.
Risks of an Acupuncture Facial - Every procedure involves a certain amount of risk and it is important that you understand the risks involved with an acupuncture facial. An individual’s choice to undergo an acupuncture facial is based upon the comparison of the risk to potential benefit. Although the majority of patients do not experience the following complications, you should discuss each of them with Michelle Gellis to make sure you understand the risks, potential complications, and consequences of an acupuncture facial.
- Bleeding - It is possible, though very unusual, that you may have problems with bleeding during an acupuncture facial. Should post-acupuncture bleeding occur, it will usually only consist of a few drops. Accumulations of blood under the skin may cause a bruise, or hematoma, which will resolve itself.
- Infection - Infection is very unusual after an acupuncture facial. Should an infection occur, additional treatment, including antibiotics, may be necessary.
- Damage to Deeper Structures - Deeper structures such as blood vessels and muscles are rarely damaged during the course of a facial acupuncture treatment. If this does occur, the injury may be temporary or permanent.
- Asymmetry - The human face is normally asymmetrical. Thus, there can be a variation from one side to the other in the results attained from a facial acupuncture treatment.
- Bruising And Puffiness - There is a possibility of bruising (hematomas), puffiness, blood, tingling, itching, warmth, pain or other symptoms at the site of the needle.
- Nerve Injury - Injuries to the motor or sensory nerves rarely result from facial acupuncture treatments. Nerve injuries may cause temporary or permanent loss of facial movements and feeling. Such injuries may improve over time. Injury to sensory nerves of the face, neck and ear regions may cause temporary or more rarely permanent numbness. Painful nerve scarring is very rare.
- Needle Shock - Needle shock is a rare complication after an acupuncture facial.
- Unsatisfactory Result - There is the possibility of a poor result from an acupuncture facial. You may be disappointed with the results.
- Allergic Reactions - In rare cases, local allergies to topical preparations have been reported. Systemic reactions which are more serious may occur to herbs used during an acupuncture facial. Allergic reactions may require additional treatment.
- Delayed Healing - Delayed wound healing or wound disruption are a rare complication experienced by patients in the aftermath of an acupuncture facial. There is a greater risk for smokers, who frequently have dry, sagging skin, which does not heal as readily as that of non-smokers.
- Long Term Effects - Subsequent alterations in facial appearance may occur as the result of the normal process of aging, weight loss or gain, sun exposure, or other circumstances not related to an acupuncture facial. An acupuncture facial does not arrest the aging process or produce permanent tightening of the face and neck. Future facial acupuncture maintenance treatments, or other treatments, may be necessary to maintain the results of an acupuncture facial.
Health Insurance - Most health insurance companies exclude coverage for an acupuncture facial and/or any complications that might occur from an acupuncture facial. Please carefully review your health insurance subscriber information pamphlet.
Additional Care Necessary - There are many variable conditions in addition to risk and potential complications that may influence the long term result from acupuncture facial treatments. Even though risks and complications occur infrequently, the risks cited are the ones that are particularly associated with an acupuncture facial treatment. Other complications and risks can occur but are even more uncommon. Should complications occur, other treatments may be necessary. The practice of acupuncture is not an exact science. Although good results are expected, there is no guarantee or warranty, either expressed or implied, on the results that may be obtained.
Course of Treatment - A full course of Traditional Acupuncture Facial Rejuvenation consists of an initial consultation and twelve to twenty one and one half hour sessions administered once or twice weekly. It is highly recommended that time between initial treatments not exceed seven days. Maintenance treatments, if desired, may be scheduled every six to twelve weeks or as needed to protect your physical and financial investment.
Financial Responsibilities - The cost of an acupuncture facial involves several charges for the services provided. The total includes fees charged by Michelle Gellis, the cost of acupuncture supplies, and topical preparations. The initial consultation of 30 minutes is $50. Each subsequent treatment of approximately one and one half hour is $155. Twelve to twenty treatments are recommended depending on the condition of your skin. Depending on whether the cost of your acupuncture facial is covered by an insurance plan, you will be responsible for necessary co-payments, deductibles, and charges not covered.
Cancellation policy: Please provide 24 hours notice if rescheduling an appointment is necessary. Unless it is an emergency, a $150 fee is charged for missed appointments.
Disclaimer - Informed-consent documents are used to communicate information about the proposed procedure along with disclosure of risks and alternative forms of treatment(s). The informed consent process attempts to define principles of risk disclosure that should generally meet the needs of most patients in most circumstances. However, informed consent documents should not be considered all-inclusive in defining other methods of care and risks encountered. Your acupuncturist may provide you with additional or different information which is based upon all the facts in your particular case and the present state of knowledge within the field of acupuncture. Informed consent documents are not intended to define or serve as the standard of acupuncture. Standards of acupuncture are determined on the basis of all of the facts involved in an individual case and are subject to change as scientific knowledge and technology advance and as practice patterns evolve. It is important that you read the above information carefully and have all of your questions answered before signing the following consent.